When searching for an HVAC contractor in the Toronto area, it’s important to know who you are dealing with. Your HVAC system is one of the most important purchase decisions you can make for your home. HVAC stands for Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning. Basically, it’s the system that keeps your house warm in the Winter, and cool in the Summer. Having a properly installed HVAC system is very important, as not only will it save money on your energy bills. Toronto is one of those places where the weather varies year-round. The Winter months are typically very cold, while the Summer months are very mild, so choosing the correct HVAC contractor will also prevent costly problems later down the road, such as dangerous black mold, freezing pipes, water damage, and other repairs that can put a big hole in your wallet, or even make your house unsafe. Here are five of the biggest tips you should consider when selecting your HVAC contractor.
1. Do your research – Don’t be afraid to read up on HVAC information on your own. This will allow you to perform basic maintenance tasks yourself, which will save money in labor costs.
2. Ask for referrals in the area – Toronto is a big city, so it’s likely that the contractor in which you’re interested has done business with someone else. Ask around. Use the Internet to search for reviews. Use whatever means at your disposal to find out more information about the people with whom you intend to do business.
3. Shop around – With many HVAC contractors in the area, each is constantly battling to receive your business. Some will provide discounts when you buy Energy Star-compliant devices. Look for these discounts. Also, it certainly doesn’t hurt to get estimates from multiple contractors, as two different companies will sometimes provide similar services at different prices. Remember – HVAC contractors are competing for YOUR business, and you can sometimes get a good deal. However, you shouldn’t make price your only factor when deciding a contractor.
4. Ask about the contractor’s experience – Contractors don’t mind telling you how much experience they have in the field. In fact, they make it a badge of honor, particlarly if the contractor has been in the field a long time! A contractor with 30 years experience that charges 1250 dollars will get my vote before a person with 12 years experience that charges 800 dollars. That is because it’s far more likely that the more experienced contractor will not leave behind a mess for you to clean up, or end up having to be called back to finish their job two months down the road, and that saves money in the long run, and furthermore, the more experienced contractor is also more likely to be able to offer you the best solution for your home, which also saves money. The age-old adage “You get what you pay for” comes to mind here.
5. See if the contractor asks to set up an appointment to tour your home, and asks about any heating or cooling problems you’ve had in the past before giving an estimate – A contractor that gives a straight-up price without even looking at what needs to be done likely is not to be trusted, nor is a contractor that doesn’t ask about heating or cooling problems you’ve had in the past. The price of installing an HVAC system depends on the type of work that needs to be done (does the contractor need to remove old ductwork, or will the existing ductwork suffice? Is the old ductwork up to building codes? How much ductwork needs to be installed? Is there an existing furnace or central cooling system? Do they meet regulations? Are they likely to be the cause of existing problems? These questions and more need to be answered in order for the contractor to give an accurate estimate, and these questions cannot be answered without coming to your home.)
Having a properly functioning HVAC system is very important, both for your overall comfort year-round, and for your personal health and the resale value of your home, and is also a great opportunity to increase the value of your home. Make sure you don’t waste it! Choose the correct HVAC contractor now, and avoid costly heating, cooling, repair, and even medical bills later!
Hawk Home Services has a fleet of experienced Hvac technicians. Call us now for a free estimate and house calculation.
Toll Free: 1-855-429-4295